Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I am such a 1950s housewife

This morning I naturally woke up at 6:30, and since that almost never happens (especially during the school year), I decided not to fight it.

After killing about a half an our of my time with reading the sunday comics, I decided to make some pancakes. But not just some regular, mix pancakes, no, no, no. The ever-so-yummy buttermilk pancakes from scratch. I know, I'm an awesome daughter/sister. It's true.

So I have this fantasy, though. This strange desire to make these pancakes for a group of teenage guys, my (nonexistent) boyfriend included. I don't really know why. I suppose because first of all, no one makes stuff from scratch these days, so I would impress them with my cooking skills (in reality I'm not much of a cook, but I can follow a recipe). Then my "boyfriend" would be all proud that his girl makes awesome food :) yeah, that'd be pretty great. And last reason would probably be the satisfaction of watching the guys enjoy the food you prepared for them, and for them to tell you that it takes really good.

I don't know, is that stupid? Actually, I don't even care if it is, it's a fantasy of mine. I like the idea of taking care of my man, if I had one, that is. Like a 50s housewife. She stays home, takes care of the children, cooks all the meals, and happily makes her husband a cocktail when he gets home from a long, grueling day at work. Yeah, it's a little archaic, and probably not in line with feminism. Not to say I'm a feminist, but I'm all for female empowerment. But either way, it just seems so... nice. I can't explain it really. 

Anyways, here is the recipe, if anyone out there reading this is interested. They turned out really really good :) Waayyy better than pancakes from a mix:


Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. You can flick water across the surface and if it beads up and sizzles, it's ready!
  3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until it's just blended together. Do not over stir! Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/2 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

[Copied from here: buttermilk pancakes]

Enjoy!

heart,
taylor :]

No comments:

Post a Comment